Sunday, August 5, 2012

Handheld Pies by Sara Billingsley & Rachel Wharton

Who doesn't love a great cook book? One of my weaknesses, especially if they have great photos of the recipes.  Since we are going to do a desert table at April's wedding, I'm on the look out for different types of mini deserts to help fill the table. Handheld Pies, I found at Joann's for $12.99 with my 40% off coupon or you can find it here on Amazon. I will usually look through a book to see if I think I will make something out of it, at least one recipe anyway justifies the purchase in my book anyway. A meal cooked at home is an easy $30-$40 savings right.? But the pictures and the ease of the recipe are usually what sells me.  This book if filled with handheld pies of all kinds, but also as a bonus there are a few surprises in it also. I'm proud to say I've only had the book a week and I dove it and made something I've never made before.  Shepard Pie. They were so easy to make, and they way they were served up in the book even made me run out and purchase some pint size mason jars.  I also stopped by Dilly Deli and bought a few of their bread bowls to fill with the remaining Shepard's pie ingredients and bake in the oven, just till the bowls got crispy. They were so good, and proved to be a quick meal to throw together.  Ground beef, onions, diced carrots, peas, corn, beef broth and a bit of flour, salt pepper to taste. Mashed potatoes to add to the top, just warm and let the potatoes brown a bit. I even added some shredded cheese to the tops of my potatoes. They didn't last long, and I would recommend the bread bowls for nice individual servings.



      Authors Sara Billingsley and Rachel Wharton put together a sweet little book that's had a lot to offer.




No comments:

Post a Comment